Donald Trump has selected retired Marine General James Mattis aka “Mad Dog Mattis” as the Secretary of Defense. There is a reason the retired General has such a nickname. Mattis has come under fire for his choice of words, and for good reason. If the brutality of his words have even a shred of truth (and they likely do) this man is a calculating war-hawk who is a threat to the world.
While I certainly don’t live in a fantasy world where I think everyone is going to join hands while singing songs of peace, I don’t think killing people is “just business” nor do I think it should ever be acceptable for American soldiers to think “it’s fun to shoot some people.”
And, both of those statements came directly from General Mattis, and there are more.
Now, imagine our world with Donald Trump as Commander-in-Chief and “Mad Dog” Mattis as Secretary of Defense. Oh yes, the world should fear. We should all be very afraid.
RELATED: Right-Wingers Lose Their Minds Over Possibility Of A Pardon For Prisoner Of War Bowe Bergdahl
Here are seven of his most deplorable quotes regarding war, human life, and the role of the United States military.
1. “I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I’ll kill you all.”
2. “The first time you blow someone away is not an insignificant event. That said, there are some a–holes in the world that just need to be shot. There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
It is an extremely dangerous worldview to believe that there are hunters and there are victims and someone has to be one or the other.
3. “Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
4. “We’ve backed off in good faith to try and give you a chance to straighten this problem out. But I am going to beg with you for a minute. I’m going to plead with you, do not cross us. Because if you do, the survivors will write about what we do here for 10,000 years.”
That’s what Americans do? We threaten to do something so horrible to an entire body of people that their survivors will talk about it for 10,000 years? Seriously?
That’s just sick. It just is.
5. “You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn’t wear a veil. You know, guys like that ain’t got no manhood left anyway. So it’s a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them. Actually it’s quite fun to fight them, you know. It’s a hell of a hoot. It’s fun to shoot some people. I’ll be right up there with you. I like brawling.”
It’s a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them? WTF?
6. “There are some people who think you have to hate them in order to shoot them. I don’t think you do. It’s just business.”
Umm, it is even more disturbing that killing people is considered “just business” – I think I’d rather them be hateful. This is even more frightening.
7. “Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they’re so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact.”
And, that is an impossible mission that will only keep us in a perpetual war. Fantastic.
We had a small glimmer of hope that this nomination would not be confirmed due to the federal law that requires the secretary of defense to be out of active duty for at least seven years. Mattis has only been retired for three. However, the House Republicans have included a waiver for that rule within legislation that funds the government through next spring. If it doesn’t pass (if Democrats don’t go along), we face another government shut down.
RELATED: Sen. Warren Warns Trump’s New Treasury Secretary Is The ‘Forrest Gump Of The Financial Crisis’
At one of Trump’s ridiculous rallies on his “victory tour” he told Mattis:
You’re going to get that waiver. If you don’t get that waiver, there are going to be a lot of angry people.
And if he does? Well, plan on war and a lot of dead people.