The Center for American Progress Action Fund performed a detailed analysis of Donald Trump’s plan for our nation’s schools, and what was found will send any parent, teacher, or person otherwise interested in having an educated population in America running in terror to the ballot box for a vote against him.
Trump’s target is the Department of Education itself. The DOE has long been one of the coveted targets that conservatives in America have wanted to victimize with their anti-everything agenda. He promised to cut the funding to it so badly, that it’s effectively useless if he cannot eliminate it all together.
Does that mean he’d divert all that money used to fund the federal agency to the states for their schools? Of course it doesn’t. Trump would divert our tax money intended to educate our children to pay for tax giveaways to billionaires who already have more money than they can spend in a lifetime.
The full analysis of his plan is as follows:
- 8 million students every year would lose Pell grants
- 490,000 or more teacher positions could be eliminated
- $1.3 trillion in student loans would be at risk
- 9 million low-income students would lose $15 billion of Title I funding annually
- 5 million children and students with disabilities would lose $12.7 billion used every year to ensure that they receive a quality education
- 750,000 or more students from military families, Native American students, students living in U.S. territories, and students living on federal property or Native American lands would lose $1.1 billion per year for their schools
- 4,000 or more rural school districts would lose more than $175 million used annually to help improve the quality of teaching and learning in many hard-to-staff schools
- $700 million used by states to support the 5 million English language learners currently in public schools—representing close to 10 percent of all students—would be cut